Re: [PyrNet-L] shock collars and walking off lead

--- clhenke@juno.com wrote:
> Brandy, may I ask how long you would expect a dog to
> be treated with a
> pinch or shock collar?  Is this a lifetime method?

    No, actually I've found that I don't need the
pinch collar any more with Jake.  He is 11 months now
and we walk nicely with a buckle collar.  I had about
the same results with my first pyr, we used the pinch
when he got strong enough and determined enough to
pull that a regular collar was no longer secure.
Once, a good heal was established we took him off the
pinch.

> Do you
> always think of dogs as children, or do you reach a
> point of
> acknowledging them as adults in their species, and
> afford them the
> respect they deserve as such?

     Dogs of course, aren't people but to the extent
they are different their lives tend to be much harsher
then we would choose for them.
   Behavioral science that is the basis for almost
every dog training method I have seen remains constant
across most groups of mammals.  Reinforcements
increase behavior and punishments decrease behaviors,
it doesn't matter if your talking about a dog, and
child, or a mouse.  You change the reinforces, and
punishments, but you don't change the general
approach.  Adult humans learn in accordance with the
same principals as human children.  The point remains
the same regardless of the age of the individual
involved.

                Brandy

=====
"Bluebonnets" by Julia D. Booth
Offical Flower Song of the State of Texas
Chorus:
Bluebonnets, blue lovely Bluebonnets,
More beautiful than all the rest.
Texas chose you for her flower,