[PyrNet-L] Shock collars and pinch

Hi All, I hope I don't offend anyone here, but I have been reading the on
going argument about this subject. First, I think we are going to have to
agree to disagree, everyone has their own approach to training. I have put 4
CD"s on Pyr's and a CDX on one, it is not easy and every dog is different,
and every animal. I have been a professional horse trainer for 20 years, I
usually get in the ones that others have failed with, I turn most of them
around and make them easy to live with. I have several World Champions and
International Champions. Most of these horses were trained under harsh means,
which is not my way and why I am able to turn them around. I have never used
a shock collar and don't think I ever will. The pinch collar on the other
hand used right is much easier on a dog than other collars, you do not use
them forever, you cannot show in them. I trained Kim in a pinch and she would
rather be with me than any other place, you don't give the correction the dog
does. When I do put a pinch on her she sits nicely and allows me to put it on
her without a problem. Let me get out the ear cleaner though and she is out
of the room, I tried the clicker method on KIM she hated it so much she would
run when she saw or heard it. She didn't like the sound, the clicker trainer
says it doesn't work on every dog and not to use it on her. I do train with
treats and praise, and positive reinforcement with my voice. I have never
hurt my dog with a pinch collar, or else she would let me know without a
doubt. She has been in training long enough that she is very reliable on or
off lead. I do not let her loose in public, for her sake, I can yell leave it
and she will stop what ever she is doing and come to me. Teaching a leave it
command is invaluable! I will say that I'm surprised to hear those of you who
do not think a pinch collar proper would kick hit or spray a dog with
peppermace. I would much prefer that you went after the owner through proper
channels than to pick on the dog that has no control over being loose or
trained properly. I train my dogs so they are safe and easy to handle, so
that in any situation I have the upper hand, and I have very happy dogs.
Sullen dogs do not do well in the show ring, happy ones excel, my Pyrs have
scores in 180's and the 190's on a regular basis. I also have a Border Collie
and he is a breeze to train compared to a Pyr,they each have their own way. I
am willing to help anyone as much as I can through the list, that is if I am
not kicked off after this. I love working with animals and people, hope to
talk to you later ..........Debbie