Re: [PyrNet-L] Shock collars and pinch

<< I will admit that I am amazed by the results some of you have described
with purely motivational methods. I have my doubts that it will work for
every dog, but it would be the approach of first choice for me.  We always
try positive first.  As a result of this discussion, I may try it a little
longer before using other corrections. >>Brandy

Just thought I would mention something here that I find a lot of people tend
to forget (and many trainers forget to relate to their students).  Many
people give up on motivational methods right at the crucial point mainly
because they are not aware of this fact.  The fact is that things will
always get worse before they get better!

When using an operant conditioning/motivational technique to modify a
behaviour, you will invariably find that the unwanted behaviour will
increase before it decreases.  Take jumping up for instance.  You start
teaching the dog not to jump by turning away when he jumps (and
praising/rewrding him when he sits or keeps 4 paws on the ground).  He then
starts jumping more to try and get you to turn around.  Many people try this
a few times and then give up, claiming it didn't work.  They don't realise
that they were actually at a crucial point where it WAS working!  If they
had only kept on with the technique a little more, they would have found
that the jumping would have decreased sharply, and had they then kept going,
they would probably have been able to extinguish the behavior.

Other things such as the stopping when the dog pulls on the leash and only
proceeding when the leash is loose, also follow this pattern. The dog at
first will try even harder to pull.  By being persistent and consistent with
the technique however, the pulling will, following this increase, be
followed by a sharp decrease in the behaviour.  Be warned though that during
this crucial period, saying 'oh, ok, just this once' will put you even
further back than when you started.  You have, after all, just given your
dog a random reward!  (Also be aware that some dogs take longer to 'get'
what you are after than others.  Some learn in one session, some take quite
a few.)

The upshot is, that sometimes persisting with a motivational technique a
little longer is all that is needed.  Being patient, persistent and
consistent, and knowing what to expect, can make all the difference.

Tracy Bassett
Canberra, Australia
espinay@dynamite.com.au
visit my webpage at http://members.dynamite.com.au/espinay/index.htm