Re: [PyrNet-L] Giant Breed?

Hi Everyone,

I assume from your signature lines that you are from Texas or somewhere near
by.  Never having been to the area I cannot comment on the Pyrs you would be
likely to see in that area.  We are from Southern Ontario in Canada and I
have shown Pyrs across most of the Northern areas of the US from New York to
Seattle but mostly in the Great Lakes regions.  From what I have seen, there
does seem to be a great difference in size from one area to the next.  For
example I was showing a particular dog in the US a couple of years back that
was larger than usual for my bloodline.  (My average dog is between 28 and
29 inches.)  In Michigan, he dwarfed most of the dogs he was against but
when we showed the same dog 2 weeks later in New Jersey he was in turn
dwarfed by most of the competition.

From what I gather from posts over the months here, the Texas dogs would
seem to be much larger than the average seen in the middle north areas.  A
27 inch 100 pound dog would not be at all out of norm up here.  In fact, a
32 inch dog would be far more unusual here.  This is not to say they don't
exist.

Personally, I don't care if a dog is 27 inches or 32 inches as long as it
falls somewhere in that range.  The reason I own and breed Pyrs is far more
due to the qualities they have in personality and temperament than size.

Here's my logic on size.  If the range for Pyrs is 27-32, then it stands to
reason that the target and average height for a Pyr should be 29.5.  This is
dead centre for the standard in North America.  If you fault a dog for being
27 inches you must then also equally fault a 32 inch dog for being at the
other end of the standard.  Otherwise it is mearly a matter of taste or
choice (which last time I checked you are still allowed to have).  If we all
liked the same thing in dogs it would be pretty boring.

I would like to think that most of the arrogance you see in posts are lack
of writing ability (which I suffer from badly) or just writing style.
Whatever the cause, it is nice to see passion for the dogs.  Be it right or
wrong its a lot better than appathy.

Take Care,
Doug Hustins
Acroyar Great Pyrenees