Re: [PyrNet-L] Giant Breed?

Doug, as far as the sizes in Texas goes ( at least in the country south
of Dallas ) I find that to me the actual working dogs are not on the
large  end of the scale ( big sheep and goat area south of us  ) as a
whole.  I often wonder if the real working dogs are getting the nutrition
to grow optimally.  A lot of the ranchers in this area are pretty
apathetic where their dogs are concerned.  I was disappointed at the last
show I went to, as I thought all were on the low end of the averages as
well.  Was informed that most of the dogs were at another show ( was it
the National back then? ) and so I was probably not getting to see the
largest specimens.  I personally think it is hard to guess dogs out in
the field, I know when I watch mine at a distance I really have to study
them to know of the two white females, and the biscuit male and female
which I am looking at, and there is a large size difference in the male
and similarly marked female when you see them close up.

I'm sure your correct when you say you  will see different size dogs in
different areas of the country, just as we see slightly different looks.
I personally love size on dogs, but agree  that is not why most of us
have this breed.  I'm still curious as to what the sizes do average
elsewhere?  I would have thought that the area that you talked about
would have more dogs at the large end of the scale, more so than our part
of the country, so I was surprised when you said this appeared no to be
so.  Ranger is 31" and while I would love him to be 32"  I'm very
satisfied with him as is.  Funny thing is, he doesn't look all that large
until he walks up and stands next to you and you realize he is a good
size kid.  I know that with maturity and coat he will appear larger.  Any
way it is fun to talk about it, and I'm glad you wrote to give us an idea
of size in your area.  I think it would be interesting to know more of
the dogs in different parts of the country!  Cindy.

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas

in the dog."  ~ Franz Kafka