[PyrNet-L] Whether the wither

>       What a wonderful story thank you for sharing. By the way stay out
>and
>talk to us, no more lurking. LOL Give Pushkin a big hug and hello form all
>of
>us!..........Debbie and the Pyr gang.

Thank you for the welcome! Push loved his hellos and hugs. And to join the
current discussion- although I don't consider Pushkin to be a large dog
(sort of how one always thinks their kids are "small") my
sister clarified this one day by asking: "Can both of you (I'm 5'3 and 115)
fit through the door at the same time"? (uh, no). "Can he
turn around in the hallway or does he have to back up"? (Backs up unless
there is food involved- then does backflip)."Did you have to aquire a larger
vehicle when Push was fully grown?" (Sheepish yes).
Around the age of two, I measured him at 28.5 and he weighed in at 130. We
used the "square" (which does have a level) that we measure the horses with.
And he has been weighed many, many times on digital vet scales. Is he
overweight for his height? He has allergies and perhaps even food allergies
so has been on a fish and potato diet which tends to add weight (now on
salmon and rice). By my eye he could stand to lose 5-8 #'s. ("But Mom, it's
winter time"!!) And in the horse world there are breeds that are known for
their low withers
- (which means that the bulk is there to the eye, but when it comes time to
guess the height, most folks overestimate the height due to the presence of
the bulk)- is this true for dogs as well? Can this be a breed or individual
characteristic?