Re: [PyrNet-L] sleeping arrangements(long)

Boy do these rules ring a bell. My Aunt was laughing the other day when
she looked in and 3 of my 4 dogs were sleeping with me. 2 pyrs and a lab
cross. Hannah is the worst about taking up her 1/2 crosswise in the
middle. Katie stays on her side of the bed and Abby the smallest plops
where ever. The only reason the fourth dog isn't piled in with us is she
can no longer get up onto the bed due to severe arthritis in her knees.
I usually have a small corner of the bed in which to curl. That isn't
too bad when it's cold. Nothing better than having your hind parts and
feet warmed by a big fluffy warmer.

I just want to say how much I have been enjoying reading this list. I
love my dogs and love reading how much others love their "kids". I
especially love reading all the stories and posts of the things that
make these dogs so special.

I fell in love with pyrs when I saw a picture of Jean Boyd in the local
paper face to face with Rivegroves Run for the Roses. They were
attending the dog show in town and a photographer took a piture of Jean
almost nose to nose with TR. He had THE MOST content look on his face I
have ever seen. I can only say it was magical. It took a while before I
actually got one.

Even though I have 2, it wasn't a case of potato chip factor. My ex felt
that Hannah had bonded to him and wished to keep her. I also had no
fence to keep her in when I first moved. I wasn't happy about him
keeping her but hey he said he would pay for me a new puppy. I called
the breeder that I got Hannah from and sure enough she had 2 litters
(20) puppies to choose from. When I went to pick out my puppy, Katie
picked me. I was thrilled with her. The fence was all done and guess
what, my ex brought Hannah home. Cool, two pyrs!

It has been so interesting to see the differences in the two. Hannah is
more laid back, doesn't want to be messed with. She will drop in
occasionally to be petted. I think she shows affection by laying on or
against me in bed. Katie is just the opposite she wags all over craves
hugs and kisses and give hugs and kisses. If I pet somebody else she
will wedge between us to get loving.

They seem to take turns guarding. Katie will not come in for part of the
night. If Hannah is out and barking she takes a break and will come in.
If Hannah come in for the night Katie goes out. If they are both out and
Hannah is on duty, Katie will lie down and doze. They will both come in
and sleep with me during the day, (I work nights).

I was impressed by their independance when Hannah was a puppy. I would
walk the dogs to the pond so they could swim. If Hannah thought it was
too hot, she would turn back and wait for us. If she got tired she would
come up to me to be picked up and carried. She discovered a cool spot to
sleep. She would go to the bathroom and sleep in the shower stall. It
had a concrete floor.

Sorry to be so long. I guess I need to post more often and share in
smaller bits. Thanks or the list and all the wonderful folks that share.

Hugs to all the "kids".

Susan, Katie the flirt, Hannah of the perpetual bad hair day, Bear the
old one, and Abby the princess.