[PyrNet-L] Hello

Hi, my name is Laurie, and I have joined the list.  Currently I have three
canine furkids-Chloe, 1 YO beagle/springer spaniel; Lexi, 6 MO blue heeler?
Aussie? catahoula?; and Daisy, a 1 1/2 YO pointer/hound.  My purpose in
joining this list is to further my research into the Pyr breed.
Recently I became interested in the breed and its gentleness despite its
size, as I am looking at breeds that are good with children.  (I don't have
any children, but I would like to someday and I don't want to be one of
those people who get rid of their dogs once they have children.) I've read a
lot about the Pyr breed, but I am interested in learning more from Pyr
owners.  My interest right now is in adopting an older dog.  Daisy was my
first adult adoption, and I do not anticipate that she will be my last.  She
was abused so, two months later, we still are working on problems resulting
from that, but she is a wonderful, sweet dog; I would not trade her for
anything.  (And I really resent the "used dog" phrase that has been used in
my presence.  Just because an animal is an adult when you adopt it does not
make it less, like the saying, "One man's trash is another man's treasure."
Two of my three dogs were throwaways, and the third was caught as a very
young puppy by Animal Control.  Yet, with love and good care, they are now
beautiful animals that fascinate people with their distinctive/unusual
looks.  All three of them are good-natured animals who love people, while
remaining protective of their mother.  It just takes love, patience, care,
and time to let a dog become its best.)

 For all three of my adoptions I have agonized alone over whether I could
take care of them, adequately meet their needs as dictated by their breeds.
I researched their breeds and analyzed and worried about what I might have
missed. (And yet, once I got them each home, they were mine and it was fine.
I'm such a worrier!) It is so neat to be able to use this tool to learn from
Pyr owners as you share your stories and ask questions.  I am looking
forward to gaining insight on your Pyr's daily lives, and maybe one day I
too will have Pyr stories to share.

Laurie
Birmingham, AL