Re: [PyrNet-L] Health, Care: Purdue Boat Study

On 6 Feb 00, at 7:10, Ame McNair wrote:
> Has anyone read the article in the AVMA Journal yet? Did I misunderstand the
> brief finding posted in the above link that said that there was a 200%
> increase in bloat if the dog was being fed from a raised feeding dish ? If
> this is the finding, I am more than a bit concerned since I feed from one...
> I guess when I take Push in to the vet school here for his allergy recheck I
> will ask the vets if they have read the article and what do they suggest.
> Has anyone on the list
> had personal experience with bloat AND raised feeding dishes? Am I concerned
> over nothing?

May find more information at the Purdue site where the Bloat Notes
are published also.

http://www.vet.purdue.edu/depts/vad/cae/research.htm

No, you didn't read wrong.  I generally do not use a raised feeding
dish except to put the water bowl in to keep it raised off the floor.
Newfs like to play and slop in them too much.....well so does my
old pyr girl.  Otherwise, raise the food dish for my older ones once
it gets hard for them to eat because of arthritis.

I know there was discussion on the newf list on this subject and
there were people where raising a food dish did not stop their newf
from bloating.

I know my newf's sister bloated but can't say on the circumstances
of that.  Linsey eats very fast which I haven't been able to stop but
she's a very upbeat happy girl which seems to factor in to whether
a dog will bloat or not.

Janice, janices@jump.net
Linsey (newf), Bianca & Sonny (pyrs)
http://www.jump.net/~janices/