Re: [PyrNet-L] Compatibility with birds

----- Original Message -----
From: Kiff, Graham <Graham.Kiff@limit.co.uk>
To: <pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org>
Sent: Monday, February 07, 2000 11:24 AM
Subject: [PyrNet-L] Compatibility with birds

> Need some help on the Great Pyrenees.
>
> I have finally moved into a house with a large garden, which allows me to
> get the kind of dog I have always wanted, i.e.. large.  For the last few
> months I have been trying to decide which breeds I should consider, it is
> made more difficult however because I have an African Grey parrot which
> spends a lot of time out of the cage when I am home.
>
> Many Thanks
> Graham Kiff

Hello Graham! I have two dogs, three cats, and two parrots. One of which is
a Congo African Grey named Juko. One of my dogs is my pyr Beauregard, or
Beau as we affectionately call him. Beau is wonderful with our parrots. He
has never shown the slightest aggressiveness with either bird and is very
sweet and gentle with all the cats. He does occasionally have to knock our
other dog Tyler (aussie/ sheltie mix) on his can as he has tendency to get
in his big brothers face unmercifully. But other than that they get along
great.

If you choose to get a puppy you can raise it with the bird. However puppy
exuberance and high spirits could be a bad fit with the parrot. Or look for
an adult that either has been raised around birds or that you can visit with
while your parrot is there to gauge the dogs reaction to the bird. Pyrs
generally have a low prey drive and that is on your side. Good luck and let
us know how it goes.
Marie McFarland and Beau