Re: [PyrNet-L] More visitors!!--and a question

On 9 Feb 00, at 7:57, Ann K. Wetherilt wrote:

> A question, especially for those who do therapy dog visits with their
> pyrs. I had Paddington at the nursing home yesterday, and he does just
> fine, very sweet although not effusive, and quite happy for everyone to
> pet him, but it's just so h-o-t in there. I take a small bowl and fill it
> a couple of times during a half-hour visit, but does anyone have other
> tips for dealing with this reality?

Yes those places are like a green house to our pyrs and me too!  I
limit our visits to 45 minutes max.  The facility we visit has a long
entry hall that they keep cooler also an outside enclosed patio, I
sometimes take the dogs there for a breather and break.

>  Also, one of the floors
> in this facility has Altzheimers patients, who adore him. But their
> reaction when we step out of the elevator is such that it overwhelms him
> and all he wants to do is turn round and get right back on. I generally
> take him into a quiet hallway, calm him down, then the staff bring one or
> two folks at a time to pet him. I'm never quite sure just how much to push
> this.

Just watch for signs of stress from him.  Take a break for a few
weeks if you think he needs it.  Both of mine love to go, but my male
especially lets me know when it's time to leave.  Suddenly he has no
more interest in being the star and heads for the exit! HA!  Therapy
visits are very intense for us, so you can imagine how 30-45 minutes
is to our dogs.  You also might want to visit the Alzheimers wing
first while he is fresh and not tired. I pick a time just before the
dinner hour when the residents are all up and starting to head for
the dining room, many are in the hallways waiting and it's cooler
than the rooms.

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico