[PyrNet-L] Re: Breeeding question

I will back up Darrell on this one. What about the jackie's breeder, is he/she not available to act as mentor to your neighbour. If Jackies is bought at responsible breeder, surely he/she will be able to help with information about Jackie's background and breeding potentiel.
I see no reason why a dog should necessarily have a title before it is bred, when I think of some of the champion you see around, it is perfectly clear that not all judges know much about the breed, they judge. But I still think one or two shows - preferable with a good entry of pyrenees - would be a good idea, certainly a must if no mentors can be found. The shows would give Jackies owner a chance to compare Jackie to other pyrs, hopefully also a chance to talk to somebody knowledgeable about the breed, get contacts, look around for a stud, and even if I find that not all judges know enough about the breed, surely at least most of them reckognizes a well constructed dog and well moving dog. But maybe I am talking from a different perspective here, as in Denmark we always get a written evaluation of the dog, I don't know if that is the case over there, without that the vaue of a show as a learning experience would be somewhat lessened. I would also advise to read the standard and look at the illustrations before going to the show - can be seen on the PyrNet site.

Terry you are right showresults is not the most important thing - the importance of health and temper can never be ignored, but at the same time I find it important to breed with wiev to getting as close to the standard as possible. I don't think it has to be one or the other.

A little input from a breeder that enjoys showing and like nothing better than to put titles on my dogs, but don't much consider titles when breeding. I go for the dog not for the title.

Lene Nielsen
Denmark
http://home.intercity.dk/ïc0795/