Re: [PyrNet-L] Re: [Pyr-Net]:breeding question/showing

In a message dated 03/11/2000 10:24:18 AM Eastern Standard Time,
clhenke@juno.com writes:

> The estimate of animals
>  euthanized in this country is said to be around 6 million a year.  Surely
>  you can understand why some of us consider the choice to breed as being
>  of the utmost importance.  Pups should be brought into a world that
>  cares, not destroys.

But Cindy, those animals are not coming from responsible breeders, for the
most part.  Would it be better for all the "good" breeders to stop breeding
dogs altogether and just let these other types take over?  Is that really
going to solve the perceived problem of pet overpopulation?

In my opinion, the crux of this societal issue is not really how many dogs
are being produced, but a lack of commitment on too many owners and breeders
parts to take the responsibility of dog ownership and breeding as seriously
as we would like them to.

If, as a consumer, a potential pet owner, I am in the market for a purebred
dog, the whole beauty of which should be predictability in looks and
temperament and health, why shouldn't I be able to go to a responsible
breeder (in good conscience) to get the best quality I possibly can and to
increase my chances of getting precisely what it is I am looking for in a
pet/companion/worker? Why should I feel obligated to bail a dog out of the
pound or some other sorry situation simply because some idiot(s) allowed it
to get their in the first place?  Why should I or others like me serve as yet
another safety net for these types?  We just keep doing things, cleaning up
their messes, basically letting them "off the hook". Because of this, they
will never change their ways.

Why should I, as a breeder who attempts to the best of my ability to be
accountable for every single puppy I bring into this world for life, feel
guilty or in any way responsible about those dogs that have been discarded
and are no longer wanted? It's not my fault they ended up in that position.
It has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with me or my activities or my
actions. I didn't fail those dogs, their breeders and/or owners did. Why
should an educated and well-researched and committed prospective purebred dog
owner have an obligation to such dogs or be held accountable for that?

Adopting a rescue or taking on a rehome is a wonderful and noble thing, for
those who are inclined to go that route, but it is not something that anyone
should feel *obligated* to do.  As far as I'm concerned, those who truly feel
so strongly about the woes and ills and failures of our society in these days
where the word commitment sometimes means nothing to many should consider
fostering discarded and unwanted children and stop getting so worked up about
dogs.

JMO to which I am entitled.

Kelley