Re: [PyrNet-L] Breeding/rescue debate

darrell goolsbee <dgg@star-telegram.com writes:

>The question: In some ways, does rescue perhaps do more harm than good
>for the breed?
>
>Rescue does, of course, help individual dogs, which is very good for
>those dogs, and also provides a "feel-good" aspect for rescuers, and
>good "PR".

  Good P.R.? I am confused as to what this means?

>Rescue dogs take up resources that could be spent on things like
>education that might do more long-term good.

Can't rescue dogs educate by example?

>Most rescue dogs are not really good examples of the breed. So, by
>pushing rescues, we're actually taking up homes for potential "good"
>Pyrs and allowing the bad examples to represent the breed. Is doing this an
>injustice both to the new owners and to the breed?

  You are right about being a good example- the less responsible a dog owner
is generally the less "good example" a dog is. And, are we only talking
about purebreds here? Aren't most mixed breeds? As for "pushing" rescues, my
local shelter hasn't come knocking on my door anymore than the local
breeders. If rescue is more visible, it may be due to the sheer number...

>Anyway, I take no position on these questions, but I find it very
>interesting food for thought. And by the way, I do own a rescue dog
>myself, as well as two "good" Pyrs. The rescue is a *great* dog, but a
>lousy example of the breed (maybe a mix).

How can your dog be a "great" dog (of which I have no doubt) and be a "lousy
example" of the breed? I too think this is a good discussion on an entirely
vexing ongoing problem, but I do take a position. I am thankful that there
are those who do rescue work because there is an immediate need for a living
creature who needs help. Focusing on rescue does not preclude educating
folks about the breed (or mixed breed...). I do agree with you Darryl that
there are many ways to think/ approach the overpopulation/education/rescue
issue. Certainly, noone seems to have found an entirely successful solution-
I am glad that there are so many who continue to try to from whatever
perspective that they may come from.

                                            -Ame and Pushkin