Re: [PyrNet-L] Breeding/rescue debate

<<How can your dog be a "great" dog (of which I have no doubt) and be a
"lousy example" of the breed?>>

I was speaking in terms of conformation, which is lousy, not behavior,
as he is truly a gentleman. He is a small dog (25-26''), under the
standard, is very light boned (75 lbs.) and has a black/brown/white face
that makes me suspect he is a mix (Anatolian?).

Many (most?) rescues are not good specimens, in terms of conformation
and thus may not offer the public an accurate representation of what a
Pyr is supposed to be. They certainly can be adored pets and
ambassadors. But the question here is by making rescue a major priority,
are we failing to put the breed's "best foot forward" for the general
public and potential Pyr owners? Are we unwittingly helping to make the
"farm Pyr" the new public standard for the breed?

I'm certainly not saying we should not rescue, but just raising a point
to consider.

Darrell Goolsbee
Fort Worth, TX