Re: Re: [PyrNet-L] Re: [Pyr-Net]:breeding question/showing

Ame,

I was just going to post a response to "rescue dogs taking away potential homes for "good" pyrs," but you just about said it all.  I do want to add that one of my pyrs is definitely not the best representation of the breed ... but she is a "good" dog.  My definition of a "good" dog is one that is affectionate and obedient (as much as a pyr can be), doesn't chew or "go" in the house, doesn't bite or growl at the kids.  Pride of ownership comes not from the dog's bloodlines, but from her personality.  Not everyone, myself included, wants to breed or show dogs.  We just want loving pets.  Many, many people choose only to adopt from rescues or shelters, out of principle or because they can't afford the purchase price of a quality purebred.  These are homes that are not open to brand new quality pups anyhow. I am not knocking breeders or people who only want quality pups from breeders.  More power to you.  But rescue dogs are just as deserving; there is a place in the world for the!
!
m and there will always be people willing to do rescue work.

"I am not sure why any animal would deserve less
from me because of their previous circumstances..."

Exactly ... in fact I think the opposite is true.  It takes a certain dedication to adopt from a rescue or shelter.  It takes someone who will say, "I will not fail this animal." Chances are the adopted animal may have been abused, neglected, never properly trained.  One inherits all the mistakes of the previous owner.

Kim

  Could not have said this better myself, or agree with you more. Animals
end up in shelters and rescues for many, many reasons (not all
of which is lack of responsibility (has anyone read about sukie at
imom.org?)- although the majority is (or ignorance about what dog
"ownership" is truly about). I am not sure why any animal would deserve less
from me because of their previous circumstances...

>I didn't adopt rescue pyrs with the intent of creating a safety net for
>anyone ... except the pyrs.  Abandoned pets are not other people's messes
>to be swept under the carpet and forgotten.  They're living creatures.
>
>Kim

Exactly. How the animal got to the shelter/rescue is of course a major
ongoing concern, but that should not prevent anyone from forgetting that
they are there. I don't think anyone is "obligating" anyone else to save a
shelter/rescue dog- nor do I think they are any less deserving of care. Nor
do I think that caring for dogs precludes anyone from caring for humans
(fostering dogs is not mutually exclusive of fostering children, however,
most folks have only so much time and energy and choose to focus that time
and energy). I am thankful that there are those who DO choose to
foster/rescue/work in shelters/humane societies. You can lead by example of
personal responsibility (which I have no doubt you are doing Kelley),
educate (as everyone on this list seems to be doing), and still end up with
millions of abandoned animals a year. For the animals sake- not the
irresponsible humans- aren't we glad there is a tiny safety net?

                                        - Ame and Pushkin