Re: [PyrNet-L] Breeding/rescue debate

Charlotte, your very heartfelt response, I think, is just the reason for
the discussion we've been having on rescue. We have much the same
situation here in TX (by no means unique): an unending flow of dogs from
farm/ranch breeders. There is, honestly, no way rescue can keep up with
it. Some of these dogs may make loving companions; some are disasters.
Few of these are dogs that would be considered "good quality" Pyrs. My
point is that probably 90 percent or more of the Pyrs that go to pet
homes in this area are from this stock, so the public, which doesn't
know Pyrs that well to begin with, is basically seeing the "farm Pyr" as
the typical representation of the breed. It is a difficult issue with no
real answer. But we owe it to the breed to represent it as well as we
can. Rescues should not take precedence, but I know it's hard when
you've got an unending stream of them. I would say, if you find the
right home, place your boy, and worry about the rescues later.

And by the way, my rescue "Pyr" may not look like much, but he is far
better behaved than either of my "good" Pyrs *s*. A great dog, but not a
Great Pyr.

Darrell Goolsbee
Fort Worth, TX