[PyrNet-L] Failure of Rescue

		Much of what Kelly has to say is hard, cold, and most of all
completely true.

		Don't get me wrong, I believe in rescue (with a little r)
but maybe not so much Rescue (with the big r).  I have loved rescued dogs
with all my heart and my 48-year old soul cried its eyes out all the time it
dug the last (rather largish) hole a couple years ago.  But no matter how
hard the people work and how much money they spend, Rescue can never re-home
dogs as fast as the puppy mills, and back-yard breeders can produce them,
and the upright anal orifices can abandon them.  It is like pumping almost
enough food into a famine area.  The only result is that the people starve
to death slowly.  The same as you can't cure famine by pumping in food, you
have to work at the opposite end of the life cycle by cutting baby
production . . . we cannot cure the abandon dog problem by finding homes for
unwanted dogs.  Rescue is good for the dog, but maybe, not so good for dogs
as a whole.

		She speaks of making the owner re-home or euthanize their
own dog instead of having shelters and rescue organizations available.
Plainly, it ain't gonna happen.  This, I feel, will result in more dogs
dumped on country roads.  "Don't worry, Suzy/Jimmy.  She will find a good
home here in the country, with lots of room to run.  Farms always need good
dogs."  Yeah, sure they do.  The dogs they get rid of for temperament or
behavior problems are just what a farm needs running the livestock.

		She speaks of making the breeders take life-long
responsibility for the pups they produce.  Here, moreso even than education,
may be our solution.  If every pet shop and backyard breeder knew they could
be required to take back (or even buy back - now here is a real hit in the
purse) every pup they ever produced, no questions asked (behaving like
reputable breeders) there would probably be fewer pups to abandon, and
owners would be screened for more than credit history.