Re: [PyrNet-L] Breeding/rescue debate

In a message dated 03/14/2000 11:51:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
txerri@baycrest.org writes:

> I am still shocked
>  that rescue and its purpose would be questioned for the sake of saving face
>  with the public.

I am shocked that you would consider serious concern over the mere thought of
our breed on the dangerous dog lists "saving face with the public".

This issue potentially goes far deeper than "saving face with the public",
and if others can't see that, then there is likely nothing I can do to
convince them otherwise.

I am honestly thrilled and delighted for all of you who have nobly managed to
save a Pyrenean life and have been privileged and lucky enough to enjoy a
stable temperament and a lasting bond of companionship with your rescued
Great Pyrenees.  To those who have been so fortunate, and who also happen to
feel strongly that anyone interested in a Great Pyrenees should first and
foremost consider a rescue, answer this question for me:

How many Great Pyrenees have *you* had to live with for several weeks and
bond with only to end up holding their muzzled head in your hands with tears
streaming down your face while the veterinarian puts them to death because
they were a serious menace or threat to society and/or because they attempted
to or actually did bite you or one of your children or one of your neighbor's
or friend's children?

Shall I go back through my records and report how many I personally have had
the terrible misfortune to make that dreaded decision on over the years,
rescues versus those out of my own breeding program?

Cut me a break here folks. I've walked in BOTH pairs of shoes. Have you?  If
not, then I suggest perhaps you don't have the whole big picture clearly
within your range of view and that perhaps you've not truly had occasion to
even remotely approach some of these very real boundaries.

I never once said no one should adopt a rescue dog.  My original point was we
need more dedicated responsible accountable and caring breeders and less
irresponsible money grubbing ignorant breeders.  We need to make education
accessible to ALL and to make quality pets and working dogs from well-planned
well-prioritized breeding programs affordable to many more than we presently
are.  This would go a long way in dramatically increasing the chances for a
successful placement for a dog's lifetime, and to that end, it would reduce
the rescue burden.

Perhaps the only way we can stop the breeding activities of commercial
breeders and ignorant breeders and irresponsible breeders is to take away
their market for puppies.  I suggest as many as 50% (or more) of the dogs
that find their way into rescue would not have slipped through the cracks if
the necessary and appropriate good breeding genetics, screening methods,
education, and lifelong follow-up was provided to these owners in the first
place.

We all have our own little contributions we can make to the long-term welfare
and betterment of this breed. I won't be made to feel wrong or guilty for
making my own personal contribution in the manner which I have chosen, AFTER
exploring ALL sides to this debate in a very personal hands-on way.

Kelley