Re: [PyrNet-L] CHAT, EVENTS: PREAMBLE 2000 WORLD CONFERENCE

In a message dated 3/25/00 9:04:12 AM Eastern Daylight Time, mikej@alaweb.com
writes:

<< A lot of people talk about improving the
 breed but yet they keep their dogs in the house and if they dont do what they
 want them to do they shut them up in a create.  Is that not like putting a
person
 in jail.  Just wondering what it does to a dogs mind that for possibly
thousands
 of years has roamed free.  Just wondering out loud here  "Is this good for
the
 breed" or are we trying to change to breed to fit OUR needs...   >>

I will not take issue with you about some misguided efforts at "improving the
breed", but I think your basis above for same is flawed.  Pyrs have not
roamed free for thousands of years.  Hopefully they have not roamed free
ever.  They have been domesticated possibly for thousands of years and have
been "on guard" at assigned tasks.  When we domesticate the dog to our house
and lifestyle we **might** cause problems, although a well bred dog will
simply start guarding this house and the people in it.  So its job, if you
will, goes on.

I just read that dogs are comfortable in their "den" and have an instinct for
same.  It is not jail that most of us place our dogs, but a safe place to
keep them out of harms way for may reasons.  Some of the reasons are travel
in cars, keep them from misinterpreting others presence in the household,
modifying young dogs behavior, medical reasons for their own good, etc.
Many, maybe most, dogs will freely go to a crate left for them and are very
comfortable.  It is their place, their "den" if you will.  It is possibly a
mistake to take ideas about what a dog likes and project it to the dog.  They
are very happy in controlled circumstances, and proper use of crates
constitute same.  I stress the  word **proper** use of crates, because I am
sure you can site some abusive use.  This is not crate problem, but problem
with the owner and if it was not the crate, it would be something else.

Joe