Re: [PyrNet-L] Re: Service Dog for a person with MS

Subject: RE: [PyrNet-L] Re: Service Dog for a person with MS

> <<<Tania, while I can't really help you as far as knowing how they
> work as
> service dogs, I can say that I am currently watching mine to see how
> they
> react to my M. S.  I am of the opinion that they sense either by
> odor or
> electrical impulses when I am having problems.  I have not had a
> full
> blown attack in over two years, so I only have the symptoms to go
> by.
> They seem to be more considerate of me if I am having an off day.
> I've
> heard other stories as to how Pyrs. react to cancer or other
> problems,
> and I think they might be quite good at reading a problem.  They
> certainly have the strength, and disposition to be helpful,
> especially
> with some of the problems associated with M. S.   Cindy.>>>
>

> Hello Cindy, Thank-you so much for your post and for sharing your
> personal experience with me - The woman I am inquiring for is a friend of
my
> breeders - she is becoming more and more non-ambulatory and would like to
> put her Pyrs to work for her . Would you mind if I copied your post to
her?

> Tania

      I think that this person has to really think about what type of
service dog she is looking for.  If you are looking for one to fetch objects
or to preform tasks on command, this is not the optimal breed for them.  I f
you are looking for a dog to assist with some movement, ambultation needs,
or one that is sensitive to changes in their condition and alerts them to
it, then a pyr might be a breed to consider.
      I am speaking from first hand knowledge based on my Molly.  I have
chemical and pesticide poisoning and am very  allegic to latex.  She senses
a reaction-- which can be anykind from change in breathing quality, to acute
episodes of asthma, to anaphylaxis-- way before I am aware of it coming on.
When I am reacting, she is like velcro to me.  If I am asleep, she will
nudge and bop me with her head til I come to.   She has also learned to help
me when the resultant fibromyalgia  kicks up.  Going up stairs, and
sometimes just getting out of a chair, she knows when I touch her tail, she
lets me grab on, and then she braces and pulls.  She is also very sensitive
as to the amount of pull, and moves ahead accordingly.  When  I am not
reacting as much, she is either sleeping nearby or gets up to check up on me
periodically.  She is 5 1/2 yos, and has been this way for at least the last
3 years.
      Bosco, my almost 2 yo Newfie/shep is of a completely different nature.
He will let me grab his collar to help up stairs, and will fetch, although
unreliable at present to return what he retrieved.  The potential is there,
now we are working to maximize it.
Nancy