[PyrNet-L] Dew claw problems

Haven't dealt with this problem as you have decribed it Cindy but I do
recall some years ago a Pyr turning up at one of our Ribbon parades with no
dewclaws at all.  He was owned by a Horse Trainer and the vet coming out to
check the horses noted the dewclaws (complete set) on the Pyrenean and said
to the owners " Holy moses that dog's still got his dewclaws, breeder didn't
have them removed as a puppy" and Pyr was taken into surgery and the lot
removed!!  No after effects/side effects whatever just some quite confused
owners on seeing all the other Pyrs with dewclaws!!  Must admit it was
strange to see "clean back feet".  The vet's reasoning in this case (he and
owners were not aware of standard etc) was that the dewclaws might get
caught and rip off while the dog was on the farm.  This was in 1985 and your
email brought it back to me.  I would just be a bit careful where you walk
Megan and you may find that she will lick the areas so just keep an eye on
her.  Are there many stitches there? Please let us know how Megan is and if
there are any side effects as such.
Kind Regards, Jan,
Jan Chaplin Ariege-Roussillon Pyreneans. Visit my sites at
http://www.geocities.com/janellachaplin/ and
http://msnhomepages.talkcity.com/PetsPl/pyreneanmountaindog/ and my latest
Site http://msnhomepages.talkcity.com/HobbyCt/postcardcollections/
 the site of PMDC http://www.geocities.com/pyreneans