From: Judith Stroh Miller [mailto:jsmiller@newmex.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2000 6:22 PM
To: pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org
Subject: Re: [PyrNet-L] physical activity

On 3 May 00, at 13:58, Sherri Artz wrote:

> I am pushing her too much?  At what age can I begin
> running with her, only a mile or two and I run very slow due to the
> altitude.

My baby is 15 weeks and today we went for a slow walk around the
plaza in town.  I waited a bit too long and it was warm.  It was also
pyr nap time, so he was not too pleased. Parvo has been so bad here
this spring that I have waited to get him out to socialize. The plaza
is relatively safe to take wee pups. We are at 7000 ft elevation. Any
strenuous exercise, such as running is best left until after 18
months.  Up until that time bone and joint growth is so crucial, I
don't even let mine jump in or out of a vehicle.  Those lovely
morning walks are fun and pace the walk to the pups stamina.
Everything I've read says activities such as jogging, biking and
carting should not be started until they have passed that important
bone growth.  BTW, tonight my baby is bouncing around, lively as
ever.

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico