Re: [PyrNet-L] Re:flea prevention

Kim, Onions are bad for dogs because they deplete the red blood
cells in the dog's body. Garlic is a saponin which can have some
toxic effects, but then, so is beet pulp which is contained in
most commercial dog foods. When I decided on using garlic oil as
a flea preventative I weighed the pros and cons. I believe that
garlic oil is the lesser of 2 evils. Rather use garlic oil which
is also considered to have some antibiotic properties than
pesticides, especially given the amount of cancer in my family. I
worked my dogs up to this dosage slowly and I only use enough to
control the fleas, no more. I'm not sure if it is garlic oil that
is a problem or raw garlic. I think (if I remember correctly)
that flax seed is toxic but flax seed oil is not. Don't know if
it works the same way with garlic. All I can tell you is that the
garlic oil has worked for me and Molly will be 12 next month and
Bo will be 10 in December. Chelsea will be 6 in September and
she's been on garlic oil since she was a puppy with no ill
effects. Yearly bloodwork all comes back great on all my dogs.

Barb Bowes
Bo, Molly, Chelsea (Pyrs) & Flopsy (Pyr Shep)
bamb@monmouth.com