Re: [PyrNet-L] Re:flea prevention

The Advantage doesn't do anything for ticks.  Frontline works well but I
have found that the spray works much better than the spot on for ticks (both
work equally well on fleas). The spray is water based and doesn't leave an
oily mark, either. You can spray the dog after a bath and still damp and you
can get the spray to the skin easier when the dog is damp (not soaking).  We
have a bad tick problem here. If you use an Amatraz collar for ticks it has
to be tight on the neck, it must make good contact with the skin. With a
long haired dog like ours it works better if a path is shaved on the neck
for the collar to rest on. (Punk rock Pyrs).   The Frontline & Advantage are
NOT insecticides, so they are actually safer for the dogs than spraying your
yard, dips, etc.  It is also safe to use the Amitraz collar with the others
as they are different classes of chemicals.

On a side note, a dog came to me to be groomed last week and his owner said
he had been itching.  I bathe him and he has several fleas.  The owner is
shocked (her word), she has been using the new Revolution. She had been
using Advantage for years with good control.  We put Advantage on him last
week and this week no fleas. This is also safe as Revolution & Advantage are
again different classes of chemicals. But it is awfully expensive to use
them together. This is the only dog I groom that I know is using Revolution,
but if this is typical, I hope it works better for heartworms than it does
for fleas!

Cindy Ward Nichols
Cloudance
West, TX