[pyrnet] DEBATE TOPIC & VILE EMAIL

Hi everyone,
I've been pretty busy the last 5 weeks and have had to read almost all my
emails a few days late.

Sometimes we can go off on a tangent with a topic.   I think this list
would benefit if the topic *DEBATE* was added to the subject line.   That
way, individuals who are no longer interested in the topic could simply hit
their *DELETE* button.   So, instead of suggesting to take a subject
"offline or privately", simply suggest that the subject go to the topic
*DEBATE*.    This just might solve the "vile email" problem (maybe).

I am assuming that if an individual sends to another individual privately a
"vile email", I believe the sender of such private emails does not want an
audience to read what they have written.   Maybe they would even feel
ashamed if an audience would read such an email written by them and signed
by them.

If someone was to send me a vile email privately, I simply would've
forwarded the vile email to the list for all to read (after adding the
topic *DEBATE* to the subject line)
 with maybe a few words written by myself that in effect stated my
disappointment of this person's behavior.    It would also let the other
list members make their own judgement of this person's "vile" behavior.   I
think that might curtail such private emails to subscribers while initially
fanning the flames, sorta'; a person might think twice how they word a
private email pertaining to a *hot* subject on the list.

Personally, I prefer to decide for myself what "vile" constitutes and form
my own opinion of such individuals.  There are alot of level-headed people
on this list and if a person or persons become too vitrolic during a
subject that has gone to *DEBATE*, I'm sure they would be able to
(eventually) reel-in a such people with their words of reason.   It wasn't
too long ago that things got out-of-control on the list and from my
deduction of events, the subject spun out-of-control because of privately
sent "vile" emails.   I also got the impression that the person at the
keyboard was quite young and instead of letting all his neighbors read the
private "vile" emails, he might've ended them sooner if he'd forwarded them
back to the list for all to read instead of addressing his anger publicly
to posters that couldn't understand where his anger and bitterness was
coming from.    Once he mentioned the horrible private emails he was
receiving, the people he was taking out his anger on became more
understanding of his plight.   Things cooled down much faster.

There are many levels of maturity on this list due to age, knowledge and
experience.   It's too easy to respond as if all are your peers in real
life.    My grandaunt, Aunt Chris, used to tell me as I was growing up, "If
you can't find something nice to say about a person, you shouldn't say
anything at all".   She also told me that "They said" are the two most
dangerous words in the English language (sometimes she'd substitute the
word dictionary for language).   I know the last one had nothing to do with
the subject, I just got a bit carried away with the sweet memory of her.
She always had a platitude to teach me.

Anyway, this list should be a forum for learning about Great Pyrenees and
sharing experiences.    No one should fear posting a question or reply.
If someone is of the habit of sending "vile" emails, I would simply
*DELETE* their posts when I see their name as they come into my inbox.   I
would then be "shunning" these people.   If enough listers did the same
that individual would get the message that such posts were undesirable by
the members and the offenders can go to "lurking-mode" but could still
benefit from the knowledge of the list.   "Kicking-off" a subscriber is too
drastic but putting them on a probationary "receive-only" mode would be
better.    After their probationary period is over, their posts could first
be reviewed by the listowners before being forwarded to the list for all to
read.   Who knows, maybe they might actually have something to say that
would be of benefit to the list even if only once.

Well, I'm off my *soapbox* but wanted to add my 2 cents since Charlotte
asked the list for a reply, (kinda').   Another suggestion to the
listowners:   It might also be better if this list wasn't so *anonimous*
for posters and names & emails were part of the header.   That might take
some of the temptation away for some individuals inclined to post some
thoughtless remarks to the list if there was no anonimity for anyone who
would use it unwisely.

Jean Fontaine-Vereb
W.PA.
Pyrstar@pathway.net