Re: [pyrnet] Behavior update

We all are very sorry to hear this.  It is such a tragedy for all concerned.
I think you might understand that this biting children behavior is not normal
behavior from the breed.  Be strong and tell yourself that next time you or
your husband might not be able to get to your son as fast.  I always felt
that those rare dogs that did things like this were not very stable and I
always wondered if they were very happy.  Nothing to do with their home, but
Pyrs love and protect its family and especially its children in the family.
These are strong instincts in an ancient breed whose instincts are very old
and set strongly.  It must torture a dog to attack its family when its core
instincts are just the opposite or it would have to be schizophrenic.  In
either case the dog must be suffering as well.  I firmly believe you are
being kind to the dog as well, so don't feel guilty.  Impossible to not feel
sad, but you are doing the right thing for all concerned including the dog.
That's what is important.
I will tell you a nice story that is taking place about the Pyr and children.
 Our very special old dog, Ch. Quibbletown Double Time AKA Bobby just turned
10 couple weeks ago.  We were lucky enough to get Bobby when his owner
encountered a set of circumstances that she wanted Bobby to have a home where
he would be shown and bred.  A home where she could someday get a puppy back
when her life was less hectic.  The owner loved him dearly as he was the last
dog her Mom (first owner) got before she died (her Mom had been in Pyrs for
40 years and was a great lady loved by all who knew her).  The daughter had
grown up with the breed and was one of those kids who is extremely talented
with dogs growing up with them.  Now she found herself with three children
under 2 years old (set of twins and a very little baby) and Dad now living
with her and her husband and babies.  Anyway we got Bobby and he had a super
show career in just a few years and has multiple champions already and
several more on the way.  Back to the story that is relevant here.  Our
Grandbaby at 8 months started coming over almost daily couple weeks ago.
Bobby is so intent in getting next to or as close to this Grandbaby it is
obvious.  We are quite sure he is remembering the babies from his former
owner.  Bobby always guarded where ever he was.  When he was showing, if the
handler, Tom was around, strangers needed to be introduced properly so Bobby
knew it was fine for them to be close to Tom and the other dogs, then
everything was OK.  Otherwise he was not satisfied and very vocal.  He is
such a sweet gentle dog, but lets you know he is on duty.  Of the many of
dogs we have shown over the years, people (other professional handlers and
exhibitors) always ask about Bobby.  This surprises us some as they see so
many dogs that they really seldom focus on one.  But they knew and really
liked Bobby.  Bobby is pretty close to what the breed should be temperament
wise.  Although Bobby is very special to us, he is representative of the
breed as a whole.