Re: [pyrnet] Re: Flooring

Carol Brescher wrote:

> Post part two:
>
> I have the opportunity to replace the flooring in my kitchen, and would
> really like to put down ceramic tiles. I have alway had vinyl, and know all
> the pro's and con's. But don't know much about ceramic.

When we redid our kitchen a few years back, the flooring was chosen specifically
with the presence of pyrs in mind.  I had seen what my sister's SHELTIES feet
did to her vinyl flooring, and while Pyrs are less rapid, their feet are also
much bigger and even Pyrs have their moments.  At least partially because my
husband is in the restaurant business, we went with quarry tile.  John's
reasoning was that if it could stand up to what goes on in a restaurant kitchen
on a Saturday night, it should be able to handle a few Pyrs and my craziness.
The floor looks as good now as when we put it in, it is not slippery (I was
really worried about that), and it cleans very very easily.  No staining,
scratches don't show, and it cleans like a dream.  (I come from a long line of
very bad housekeepers.  I need easy to clean.)  As an added bonus it is nice and
cool in hot weather, and is a favorite hang-out spot for the guys in the
summer.  One draw-back:  if you drop a glass on a quarry tile floor, it is
absolutely going to break.  The quarry tile may in the short run be more
expensive, I think, but in the long run it was well worth it to me.  One caution
about regular ceramic tile:  my sister has some of this in her house just inside
some doors that lead to the outside, and when it is wet outside and her dogs
come in it does get quite slippery for the dogs.  Or when water spills from
their bowls.

Have fun with your project!

Best wishes,
Jane Gill