[pyrnet] Re: Trouble between dogs (long)

Tammy, I have a couple of gates in my house, maybe that would work for you too, so you could have both dogs free in the house at the same time, but still separate.
I am sorry, but I am afraid you will not succeed in the long run in having those two girls together,  Bonnie is still young, as she gets older, she will get more dominant and even less likely to back down.
And to expect an old alpha type bitch to step down to a young bitch is a little too much to expect.
One of my gates is as tall as a door, but built with bars instead of solid, the other is no more than 1 m. high and  made to keep puppies in  the kitchen. Now I am one of the lucky ones, so far all my dogs get on well, but there are times, when I keep them apart. And once having had the gates put up, I certainly would not be without them, the dogs at the other side of the gate does not feel shut away from the rest of us they way they do with a solid door, I can see and hear what the young ones are up to, even if I am in an other room, the cats can move freely around the house. For me there are no negatives to the gates only advantages. The gates might also be a solution to Sadies increasing aggression towards guests.

What ever you do, please do not leave those two girls alone when you are not home. Even if most of the fight starts because of jealousy, other things might start a fight. That it has not happened yet is no guarantee that it won't.  I know quite a few people who have come home to find one of their dogs killed or so badly maimed by their other dog(s) that it had to be put down.

Lene Nielsen
sandybear@intercity.dk
http://home.intercity.dk/~ic0795/