Re: [pyrnet] Re: Trouble between dogs (long)

Tammy, I have to agree with Jan and Lene that the best solution for you is to find a way to keep these girls separated.  Bonnie is getting into the age where she is just beginning to exert dominance and this will probably only get worse.  We will often keep two females from a litter.  The pups keep each other company and grow up together.  However, it is not uncommon for them to start having spats around 15 months to 2 years.  At that point we separate them.  Sometimes they can be put back together again when they are more mature (4 years or so) but not always.  I know that Rottweilers are very different in temperament from Pyrs and I really don't know very much about them.  I get the impression that they are more
interested in pleasing their mistress and less independant-minded than Pyrs.  If that is so, maybe they would be easier to train.  I have never heard of anyone that was able to train Pyrs not to fight once the agressive behavior has gotten started.  I once talked to a dog trainer that was trying to train a male Pyr  out of attacking other males (I bet her that she couldn't do it).  After many sessions with the dog, she had to admit it wasn't working..  This is why we never keep males together and watch the girls closely.  Some long-time breeders say that the girls' fights can be worse, altho that has not been my experience.

You can look at this situation as an opportunity for you to built a special one-on-one relationship with each of your dogs.  By the way, do you see any indication that Sadie might not be feeling well?  Could she be in pain?
Good luck.
Charlotte