Re: [pyrnet] trouble between dogs-LONG post

Tam my, as far as splitting the dogs up, you can always "dutch" a
standard door at whatever height you deem best, for keeping a dog behind
it.  Saw through, put  an edge on the cut portion and move hinges.  More
secure than a baby gate, and better height.  But it still allow the dog
behind the door, air, light, sounds, etc.

Have you ever " dropped" the dog?  Would you be comfortable doing this?
Having the three girls, and one male ( all spayed and neutered )  I find
that the male will stop the squabbles often.  Usually it is between Kemo
and Polar Bear.  And Kemo usually starts it.  She is also a grumbler, and
mumbles as she is sent off.  I break them up and yell at both of them (
to avoid favoritism in their minds ), but, if she grumbles at me in
walking away, I have dropped her.  I do not feel personally threatened by
her muttering, I just think she can be a bit sullen at times ( at the
opposite end she is a real cuddler too ).  So I have dropped her, to let
her know I don't like that behavior.  The girls do tend to squabble more,
and I expect some of it.  But I am not into letting them fight it out.
The physical results are obvious, but I have seen some real bad emotional
problems come of it too!

Yours does seem to have a connection with age though, and it is real
important not to let the older dog be displaced.  If a dog rotates and
gives position easily then it is ok.  But if they fight for position and
loose, it can be emotionally damaging.

One suggestion I do have is, can you increase their physical activity.
Longer walks,  New sights, anything that wears off some of this energy
they are using to fight with?  I often find, mine get more belligerent,
with stored up energy.  It is a thought, you may wish to try?  Just my
two cents for what it's worth!  Good luck, Cindy

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas

in the dog."  ~ Franz Kafka