Re: [pyrnet] Re: Boarding puppers (sick pyr)

Linda,

The nightmare continues.  Daisy went to the vet yesterday, mainly to start
some sort of treatment for her seasonal allergies.  I also talked to him
about how frequently she gets diarrhea, and in particular, the bad case
she's had of it since coming home from the kennel.  He mentioned colitis but
also wants to check for parasites.  Daisy has a pretty prominent overbite so
her tongue always protrudes.  He said that because of this, she can very
easily pick up parasites from having her tongue touch the feces of other
dogs when she's sniffing on her walks.  This morning I woke up to find she'd
left several "puddles" in the basement.  While I was cleaning them up, she
began to vomit.  All morning she's been listless and obviously doesn't feel
well.  I called the vet right away and she's got a sick appointment for this
afternoon.  The immediate concern, I guess, is dehydration.  Does it ever
end?  I've finally got Badger on the mend (in fact, he's back to his barking
non-stop for no reason apparent to us!) and now Daisy is sick.  I told the
vet yesterday that one of the reasons we chose pyrs when we'd made the
decision to get a dog was that everything we'd read said they were a healthy
breed with few problems other than hips.  He said that he's found they're
prone to skin problems but that the sad truth is very few breeds are free
from that anymore.  While I'm a big advocate of rescue, I can see why
serious and knowledgable breeders get so bent out of shape by people who
breed willy-nilly, and why so many of these physically inferior dogs end up
in rescue.  A few years ago I would not have been able to afford the vet
bills (which is why I didn't have a dog).  I'm sure not all rescue pyrs have
loads of health problems.  Even with what we're experiencing now, when Daisy
and Badger have passed on, we'll get pyrs from rescue again.

Kim