[pyrnet] Fw: CHAT: Better news from Germany

This came through on another list. Thought I would let all of you
know. Forwarded with permission.

Barb Bowes
Bo, Molly, Chelsea (Pyrs) & Flopsy (Pyr Shep)
bamb@monmouth.com

> Hi All!
>
> Although it's rather too soon for celebration I think at least
"two cheers"
> may be in order with regard to the recent regulations
introduced in North
> Rhine-Westphalia.  I have carefully read an e-mail from Herr
Thomas Schoke
> on the "Herdenschutzhunde" mailing list from which I note the
following
> relevant information. I'm sorry if it's a bit long.
>
> On Friday 14th July a 2 hour long meeting took place at the
Ministry of the
> Environment in North Rhine-Westphalia attended by Herr Schoke
and relevant
> authorities and experts.  A general agreement was reached as to
the
> necessity to strike a balance between protecting the public
from the
> irresponsibility of certain dog owners and respecting the
rights of those
> who showed consideration, responsibility and respect  for
others in their
> ownership.
>
> The following relevant concrete measures were agreed:
>
> The general muzzling requirement for dogs in Category 2
(including, of
> course,  Pyr!) will be annulled.  This amendment will later be
incorporated
> in a revision of the regulations.
>
> Dogs in this Category 2 will be declared as "especially to be
protected from
> misuse" and, in the general regulations, be clearly separated
from the
> categorisation as "dangerous dogs" as defined in Para 2. An
introductory
> statement will establish the requirements for protecting these
breeds from
> misuse, which will prevent the stigmatisation of them as
"potentially
> dangerous".  These changes will ultimately be reflected in the
revised
> regulations.
>
> An expert report is to be compiled in order to ascertain
whether the
> inclusion of all the breeds mentioned in Categories 1 and 2 is
reasonable
> and
> necessary or whether corrections are required.
>
> The breeding of dogs for the purpose of attacking humans or
other animals is
> to be forbidden.  Rules to exempt specific State and National
authorities
> will be formulated later.
>
> The requirement for dogs in Category 2 to undergo so-called
character tests
> show that they do not constitute a danger is to be withdrawn.
Behavioural