[pyrnet] Mother/Daughter Relations

Hi all, had a question about a situation that crops up every time I take
Juma (now 18 months old) to visit her mother.  Every 1-2 weeks we spend
an evening at our friends' farm and take Juma with us to visit her
birthplace and romp with her mother (and a sister our friends kept).
Inevitably, at some point during the visit, mother will "attack" Juma.
This began when Juma was about 3 months old and has been a regular thing
ever since.  Juma has learned to keep her distance from mother.  Mother
will sniff her, begin to growl, and then do this aggressive
posing/snarling/snapping thing towards Juma.  She will chase Juma down
and knock her over.  When Juma was younger, mother would knock her down
and stand over her, and would appear to attack her neck.  Juma outweighs
her now, but still automatically takes the submissive stance and falls
to the ground, hoping that will be enough to deter mother.  No such
luck.  Blood has never been drawn, and mother's behavior appears to be
"posing" behavior, as though she's reminding Juma that Juma is a guest,
a "stranger" in her home, and must be "put in her place."  Still, it's
scary to see mother in what looks like a genuine attack, and to hear
Juma yelping and screeching like someone's driven a car over her tail.
Is this normal behavior?  Our friends theorize that Juma is really a
"stranger" now, and that mother doesn't recognize her own daughter.  But
the attacks can happen any time during a visit--sometimes the instant
Juma bounds out of our truck, sometimes not until we've spent hours at
the farm.  No single behavior on Juma's part seems to be the
trigger--Juma doesn't raid mother's food bowl or sleep in mother's
corner.  The two times our friends have brought mother to visit us,
mother has been as playful and curious as a puppy, romping with Juma on
Juma's turf.  We have also never seen any such attack from the sister
towards Juma, and mother has never attacked sister (who has been with
mother from birth).   Any ideas?  Thanks.

Stacey Korn