Re: [pyrnet] Breeding?

General question -- Why is it that we do not encourage cross breeding dogs?
Believe me, I am as interested in keeping Pyrs Pyrs, and Shelties Shelties,
but when you look at other animals, humans do a lot of crossing.  For
example, horses have been crossed for years -- otherwise we wouldn't have
breeds such as Morgan, Thoroughbred, Missouri Fox Trotter, just to name a
few.  Some of the best horse athletes are crosses.  Cattle and goats, the
same thing.  Crossing in these animals is done to enhance certain
characteristics such as milk production, meat production, stamina, etc.  In
the goat world, you can register a cross as an "Experimental" or "Grade", and
still show these in ADGA shows (if it's a dairy type breed that is).  It's
just interesting to me how the attitude is so different when it comes to
dogs.  Could it be because not everyone is able to breed goats, horses, or
cattle, but anyone with a pair of dogs can, and therefore this is a moral way
of maintaining some control over the dog population?

Not asking this to say we should all go out and start cross breeding, just
curious to find out some background on this philosophy.

Robyn
dancingpyr@aol.com
Taylors, SC