RE: [pyrnet] Spaying/Neutering?

Hi Lori,

I'm new too!  Welcome. Funny that you asked because today I will be
scheduling an appointment for my dog Max who will be 6 months August 14th.
My vet said to bring him in at 6 months but she wasn't against doing it
earlier.  I am going to schedule it for a Friday so that I can pick him up
after work and watch him over the weekend.  It took a week for our female
dog to recover.  I am thinking it won't take a male as long to recover b/c
the surgery isn't as invasive....or so I am thinking.  I believe there have
been different schools-of-thought on the subject of when to spay/neuter.

Side editorial note......I read up on the different breeds of dogs for
almost 2 years.  I had never picked my own dog and had never had a pure bred
dog.  It took only 30 minutes into studying the Pyranees that I knew this
was the dog I wanted.  I've never seen a grown Pyr "in person"...I've seen
tons of pictures.  Isn't that funny????

 The first time my husband saw a Pyr was in West Texas.  They were working
dogs, but at the time he had never even heard, much less seen a Pyr.
Ranchers asked my husband and a friend to bring out their dogs to run off
the coyotes that were killing some of the cattle.  They were standing by a
fence line to property owned by the neighbor with their dogs nearby.  My
husband said, "I saw this huge white blob (1/4 mile away) running towards
us, couldn't figure out what it was until it came up on us and was
aggressively trying to ward off his dogs (he was thankful there was a fence.

When I told him I wanted a Pyr, he said "NO WAY!!"  We have kids and all he
could remember were large aggressive white dogs.  It took lots of
conversations with the breeder to convince him this would be a wonderful
animal for our family.  He is and I love him so.  He's more like a.....rug

Until next time
Thea