Re: [pyrnet] re:dogfight

On 13 Aug 00, at 8:39, annmarie wrote:

> I think it may be time for some obiedience
> training.  But we live in a rural county in South GA outside of Savannah.
> The only classes I know of offered here are with the humane society and
> contain around 30 dogs.  I don't think this would be a good idea for Ki's
> first outing....but maybe you have a different opinion? What do you think?

Ki should learn good behavior in public.  You might call the
instructor and talk with them about some private lessons to get you
started.  Then when you have firm control of Ki, start the group
classes. This will teach him that he does not have to be protecting
you and his little doggy mate and it's fine to be around other dogs.
It's the best way for him and you to learn. I never purposely put my
dogs in a position where they need to react. I walk the long way or
cross the road if I see a potential problem. The best command I ever
taught my boy is " LEAVE IT ", which can mean anything from I want
your attention, no growling, no lifting a leg.  I did not know how
well he knew the command until the other day when we were at a
friends and Kazak was wandering around an area where our friend kept
his tools.  Zak thought it would be great to lift his leg on a
welding tank.  As he started to lift his leg, I told him to 'leave
it' and my gosh he did.  I then directed him to an acceptable area to
do his business and told him he was a grand fella.

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico
http://home.flash.net/~pyrs/judy/judy.htm