[pyrnet] re:dogfight

Thanx Mer and Jan,

Have just sent my husband to the store for a water gun.  Maybe this will
help with Ki, especially
since, yes, he would be the one to instigate a fight if a dog approached us.
But after the incidence with the female lab, am not sure if he would
actually hurt the other dog or show it who is boss.  I really think he is
trying to protect me and Chesney....my terrier mix.  Chesney, on the other
hand, has never met a stranger.  The problem I seem to have, is that she is
trying to get to the other dogs to play, and begins barking and whining.  I
think this alerts Ki or upsets him. So I end up trying to pull them both
away.  Ki, from being aggressive, and Chesney from wanting to play.  She
only weighs around 30 pounds to Ki's, so hooking them together probably
wouldn't deter him.  He'd only drag her with him.  LOL  We have net other
dogs on leashes and I tell the owners to hold their dogs back as we pass.
We have been able to stop on the other side of the road to talk for a little
while and he did growl a little, but with some firm fussing on my part, he
stopped.  Yesterday, however, we met a dog on leash inside it's fence.  A
young girl was out with him.  Ki lunged at the dog, barking and Chesney was
trying to get to her to play.  I asked her to hold her dog still until we
passed.  She did and we were able to pass more easily.  I think it may be
time for some obiedience training.  But we live in a rural county in South
GA outside of Savannah.  The only classes I know of offered here are with
the humane society and contain around 30 dogs.  I don't think this would be
a good idea for Ki's first outing....but maybe you have a different opinion?
What do you think?  I'm not sure about what is offered in Savannah, but will
check into it.  Hopefully, they have something.  It would be nice to have Ki
be able to meet other dogs, and not show aggression unless they do.

Some history on Ki.  What little I know.  Ki was kept chained in a yard with
several pit bulls.  It is our impression that he had to fight these dogs for
food, since the man who had him stated he didn't have the money to feed them
all and Ki was breaking his chain to go look for food elsewhere.  He told me
I could have him if I wanted him.  I have never paid for a dog.  Have always
found mine on the side of roads or abandoned at my father's ( a vet) office.
I have had some really great pets and at the moment have 2 dogs and 4 cats
from various places.  Ki weighed 70 pounds when we got him.  He had
heartworms, fleas and ticks and cuts from his fights.  He also has many
allergies.  He lost his hair after I transported him to my dad's.  We had
him tested and it showed that he had allergies to dust mites, mold and
trees.  We think it was the stress the move put on him that caused his hair
loss though since he is growing his hair back without medicine.

Sorry this is so long, but when I get on the subject of Ki, I could be here
all day.  Thanks again for any advice you have.

Ann Marie