RE: [pyrnet] Re: AnnMarie

-----Original Message-----
From: Ghost Rider [mailto:kaiser4@gulftel.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2000 8:11 AM
To: pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org
Subject: [pyrnet] Re: AnnMarie

FENCE:  As for the fence, you may want to ask some of the others what height
fence they have.  I've read that a Pyr can clear a five foot fence.  I was
going to build a 6 foot iron fence across the front of our home but became
worried that if Bear decided to try and jump it he would "spear" himself.
Now I'm wondering if I need to get a variance for an 8 foot fence.  Any
suggesions with this one from anyone????

I have a question about fencing for pyrs.  I have a four foot fence that
actually gets as low as about 3 foot at one spot.  I have a 6.5 month old
pyr, Dumpling.  She just starting standing up and listening to neighbors
children play and I can tell she is thinking about joining them.  The
breeder she came from had a four foot fence and told she has never had a
problem but her dogs are never out there until they bore.  I never let
Dumpling out there for long unless I am sitting in the window watching.  We
have two jack russells who also are out with her.  Anyway, I would like to
reinforce the fence, especially at the low spot.  My question is, would it
best to combine my four foot fence with:

1)  an electric wire (sheep wire)
2)  an invisible fence system
3)  a foot of lattice which would still only make the 3 ft section a 4 ft
section.

Also, is cruel for me to try to train her not to bark, especially when she
is inside?  I read somewhere in my pyr readings, that they can be trained to
give a warning bark and then if you ask them to hush they should.

One more, any suggestion how to keep her off the kitchen counter?  I don't
keep any food there, but she keeps looking.

Thanks,
Sherri