Re: [pyrnet] Congenital Elbow Anomaly was New subscriber

On 4 Sep 2000, at 7:57, Jack & Charlotte Perry wrote:
> The owner dicided agains
> the operations because they sounded painful and not necessarily
> successful.  Anyway he is absolutely fine and his legs are perfect.  I
> would be interested in hearing more about this condition.  It sounds
> pretty scary.

Charlotte,
This sounds like the condition called Congenital Elbow Anomaly in
newfs.  It turned up in the newf breed and is being studied.  At first
it was suspected as being similar to what has been diagnosed as
chondrodysplasia in the Alaskan Malamute breed.  In malamutes
it's often linked to anemia and is inherited as an autosomal
recessive trait.  Similar skeletal problems have been noted in
norwegian elkhounds, samoyeds, english pointers and german
shepherds and it does say great pyrenees.  X-rays show an
asynchronous growth of the radius and ulna coupled with a
subluxation of the elbow.  It is difficult to tell which came first,
whether the elbow luxation caused the uneven growth or whether
the growth pattern caused the elbow luxation.

In other breeds, as in malamutes, there are those not severely
affected and will be almost normal in adulthood.  Severely affected
won't be normal.  Pretty evident though that affected individuals
who turn out to be normal should never be used for breeding
purposes.

Work in newfs it is thought not to be a dominant trait nor is it
considered to be sex linked since both males and females have
been affected.  It is probably not a simple recessive.  Can be
recognized as early as 4 weeks of age.

I'm looking at a 1998 report.  If I find some later information I'll post
it.

Janice, janices@austin.rr.com
Lana & Linsey (newfs), Sonny (pyr)
http://home.austin.rr.com/janices