Re: [pyrnet] New subscriber

On 2 Sep 00, at 16:19, Brian McGinley wrote:

>  We gave up on the area breeders, and bought the litter mate
> to my brothers puppy.
> They would not give us our moey back, we have to wait
> for the next litter and pick one from those. What do we look for? How do
> we pick a good Pyr puppy ? Our son breaks our hearts every day asking for
> his white pretty puppie....We tell him he will have her back soon. This is
> our dillema...we feel beat up, and lost.Any ideas anyone?

Erin, your very sad story makes my blood boil, knowing the puppy
millers are in full force.  A breeder who sells to pet shops is not
reputable and as you learned, there is no health guarantee with pet
store pups.  My advice is run as fast as you can the other way.  You
have learned a very valuable lesson.  If you will contact the GPCA
Breeder Referral Service they will send you a list of 'responsible'
breeders for your area.  You have received some very good advice from
Joe and Jan.  Start contacting breeders and looking at well bred dogs
with sound temperament.  When you find a breeder you like and one who
likes you, with sound dogs, make a deposit and start the wait for a
pup.  Or many times breeders have older dogs that need placing also.
In either case, you will be getting a pyr with a health guarantee and
support for the life of the dog.   In the mean time a great book is,
Barrons ' Great Pyrenees, A Complete Pet Owners Manual ' by Joan
Hustace Walker.  Most pet and tack stores carry these breed books or
you can order from amazon.com. When you go to the GPCA web site,
there is a section on breed info and under that a section on buying a
puppy.  Good reading!  The wait for a pyr puppy can be a delightful
time, knowing a well bred sound pup will be yours in a few short
months.  Get your son involved also, start buying items you will need
when the pup arrives, a crate, safe puppy toys, find a pyr calendar
to mark the days or hang some pyr photos in his room, start thinking
up names, but I must say, pyrs usually name themselves <grin>. The
wait will be short and you will know you are getting a sound pup.

Go to:
http://clubs.akc.org/gpca/index.html

Contact Kerry Kern Woods for a breeders list, woodskk@eburg.com.

Keep us posted on your search for a well bred Pyr.

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico
http://home.flash.net/~pyrs/judy/judy.htm