Re: [pyrnet] New subscriber

On 4 Sep 00, at 10:37, Carl St. Laurent wrote:

> All her habits are subject to change without
> notice. She's still terrified of cars and I don't know how to help her
> overcome that. Any ideas would be welcome.

Carl, Sounds like your girl has had a rough time.  It takes these
rescues quite a while to adjust even when they have not had such a
tragic history as Bingy.  Give her time, maybe even 6 months to a
year.  Gradually she will calm and learn to trust you and feel
secure.  You will definitely be able to tell when she has settled, as
you won't think it's the same dog. For now a routine and calm
surroundings, being fed on schedule should do more to help than
anything else. Since you are already walking her, when a car passes,
pay no attention to the car or Bingy's reactions, matter of factly,
give her some obedience commands, heel, sit, whatever.  If you try to
reassure or comfort her, you are rewarding her behavior.  Since you
do know some of Bingy's history, you might also talk with a
behaviorist for some suggestions. At some point socialization and
obedience classes would be a good idea, but I would hesitate to push
her until she feels secure with you and your family.  A good time to
start would be when you see Bingy wanting to please you with her
behavior.  She is going to need to bond with you to feel secure and
with her history and depending on how stable her temperament is, that
may take a while.

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico