Re: [pyrnet] Neuter.

In a message dated 9/13/00 10:36:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
srwhitney1@yahoo.com writes:

<< My vet's explanation for keepin Anais overnight was that they are
 used to the way they look and act after anesthesia and owners tend to
 panic when they observe normal reactions.  I have to say that I
 brought my little one (now gone) home right after he was anesthetized
 for the vet to look at his foot that he had cut badly and he was like
 a rag doll until the next day.  It was pretty unnerving.  My vet
 chose not to keep my Wolfhound overnight after neutering because she
 didn't have a large enough crate for him and while he was OK, just
 very pitiful looking, he did fall off of the car seat on the way
 home.  I had no idea how groggy he still was at least 4 or 5 hours
 after surgery.  I didn't stop short or anything, just stopped
 normally and he just fell over in slow motion, so I was glad that she
 kept Anais until she had a day of healing before I had to transport
 her. >>

I hope you guys are aware and telling your vet very strongly that Pyrs do not
handle anesthesia very well.  Many have been lost over the years.  Vets do
not like to be told such things, because of course they know already.  That
is until they are loosing the dog.

Was told an interesting story yesterday about an owner standing in the room
while their dog was under anesthesia and the dog started going down.  After
the vet scrambled around and brought him back, he said "I usually do not let
the owner observe this as they do not understand."

I think he did understand and we have to understand, we will never know the
very close calls that occur and possibly that is why they like to keep them
overnight as well.

It is well known, at least in Pyr circles, that they do not handle anesthesia
well at all.  So only allow it used when absolutely necessary.  That is a
real dire need.  Anesthesia for hip x-rays is not dire, but most vets want to
use it as it is easier to position the dog for the radiograph and since
positioning is critical to the reading it is the way that requires less work
and skill.

Joe