Re: [pyrnet] Consider breeding carriers (a proposal)

Linda,

> The point of this exercise was not to recommend breeding known
> carriers or to say that there are not other options, but simply
> to remind us that genetic choices and genetic decisions are
> always more complex than we would like to think and always less
> clearly black and white.

This was what I was getting to - a categorical condemming of breeding
suspected animals is unlikely a good solution.

> It is neither easy nor possible for
> many excellent and ethical breeders.
> Let's walk in their shoes before we
> decide what they should or must do.

I'll second that too.

> Having a marker will also allow people to deliberately
> produce dwarfs by selecting *for* carriers.

Maybe we should consider a contract similar to the Material Transfer
Agreement I have to sign if I want to use someone else's reagents?  In
this case, the stipulation for the test would include a prohibition to
use the test for the purpose such a pursuit - if the test is licensed
to a given testing lab, this would be reasonably easy to enforce.

Patric

=====
"Sage Advice Improves with Thyme"

Patric Lundberg, PhD