Re: [pyrnet] Consider breeding carriers (a proposal)

<JGentzel@aol.com>

But it is well known that a deformity of the musculoskelatal system is
associated with the condition, although not observable in all animals, it
is
nevertheless present and associated someway with the syndrome. >>

Would you like to elaborate on this?  Of course there is a deformity.  That
is totally visible.  The question being addressed was whether or not these
deformities caused the dog pain, discomfort etc and further, whether they
made the dog a "bad" pet for those who wanted one.  I ask you to look at
the other commom dwarf breeds--corgis, bassetts, dauchshunds, Tibetan
spaniels (the list goes one)--and decide if their dwarfsim makes them
impossible pets or causes them to suffer.

<<just because you do not see it, does not
mean it is not there and will manifest itself.  We know it will, no
question!
 Just as you do not need to be a dwarf to transmit the gene to future
generations.>>

Are you saying here that carriers will pass on these problems to other
"normal" Pyrs.  IOW, that dogs that don't "look" like dwarfs will have
problems?  If so, there is absolutely nothing to indicate that.

<<when you describe being
able to breed the deformed kittens, some deformity is able to be reliably
bred.>>

Yes, they are either breeding affecteds or they are breeding carriers to
each other.  Nothing new or startling about that.  We could produce litter
after litter of dwarfs too if we wished.

Linda Weisser
lmweisser@olywa.net