[pyrnet] Overall genetic changes in dwarfs

Joe,

> No, what I am saying is that just because you cannot see the genotype
> does not mean we will not see it in later generations phenotypically.

> This is relative the disfiguring and associated genetic defects
> including deafness, not just short legs... but
> there will be an incidence of deformed dogs and other genetic
> problems much higher than in the normal population of Pyrs.

When I read this, I get the feeling you are suggesting that other
genetic changes are more prevalent in dwarfs - how else would you have
other genetic problems crop up in later generations?

If it is true that dwarfs occur from changes at a single recessive
locus, theen there is no reason whatsoever to think that there are
other genetic changes in dwarfs.  Perhaps the gene is involved in other
processes during development and that would be why we see some
proportion of dwarfs haing hearing impairment, but I don't think you
should assume that dwarfs have a genome littered with genetic
alterations beyond what all living animals have.

Patric.

=====
"Sage Advice Improves with Thyme"

Patric Lundberg, PhD