Re: [pyrnet] Fertility of dwarfs

Patric Lundberg <pyrsrgr8@yahoo.com>

Is there no change in fertility of dwarfs (or are you talking about
breeding carriers)?>>

Primarily I was talking about breeding carriers to each other and taking a
few "liberties" :-)  We don't know about fertility in Pyr dwarfs because we
have not bred them to each other or to normals up to this point.  I know of
two dwarf males who have been sperm checked and their numbers, motility etc
are within expected range for normal Pyrs of their ages.  Most of the
dwarfs are sterilzed and, of course, we have not tried to breed a dwarf
bitch.  For that matter as far as i know, nobody has actually used a dwarf
male.  The experience of the Mal people is that, for the most part, the
males are ok.  Many of their dwarf bitches can also conceive which makes
their test breeding program possible.  OTOH, the Mal dwarfs often are
larger than Pyr dwarfs.  The Mal club at one time did dwarf x dwarf
breeding to produce test breeding animals.

Linda