Re: [pyrnet] Need alternative to aspirin and Rimadyl

On 8 Oct 2000, at 0:26, David P Kintsfather Jr wrote:
> We have just tried a 13 day course of Rimadyl for severe arthritis and it
> pushed our girl's liver function numbers way up.  The expectation is that
> they will come back down, but we are back on Bufferin and exploring a
> variety of herbal supplements for pain and inflammation control (we have
> had to use Adequan for the joint lubrication since our girl can't tolerate
> oral supplements).

Some dogs tolerate Etogesic better than Rimadyl, but both are in
the same class.  I've used the Etogesic but not Rimadyl.

I've had good luck adding MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane) in with my
girl's regular supplements.  I buy the horse one in bulk and it can
be bought in tab or powder form and I get the powder and add into
her food.  It's a natural anti-inflammatory.

I also had good luck using acupuncture for pain control on a couple
of my dogs.

Janice, janices@austin.rr.com
Lana & Linsey (newfs), Sonny (pyr)
http://home.austin.rr.com/janices