Re: [pyrnet] GPCA -- and dwarfs

----- Original Message -----
From: <JGentzel@aol.com>

From what I read about Dr. Pagdett, he is a believer in identifying the
carriers and using a known carrier in breeding would be one method of
identifying other carriers.>>

That may well be true, but our conversation had nothing to do with
identifying carriers.  I may have posted about it earlier here, so pardon
the repeat, but we were discussing the weighing of one "problem" against
another in terms of the absolute seriousness of its manefestation--to dog
and owner.  In this theoretical case the central problem was patellar
luxation and the stud least likely to exacerbate the issue in the bitches
line was a known dwarf carrier.  The bitch had no dwarf connections.  Now
Padgett was not endorsing the use of this dog, just pointing out that this
is a case where a known carrier might be used.

Also, using a known carrier could possibly identify the other partner in
the breeding as a carrier.  It would prove nothing irrefutable about any
other carrier in the pedigree.  It might give you clues or suspicions, but
nothing beyond that.  Interestingly enough it could clear certain dogs and
by extension, dogs behind them.  I know of a test breeding to a known
carrier that not only cleared the stud in question but his son and daughter
and 3 grandaughters, all produced before this dog's carrier status came
into question when his sire produced dwarfs.

<<would recommend anyone who wants accurate information to reference his
writing as a source.  Some are on the Internet free and he has a book as
well.>>

Boy, big "yes" to that.  Anybody who breeds or wants to breed should own
his book.  Just one of several important ones BTW.

<<My only concern earlier was that I felt we might be leaving the
impression
that there "were not Dwarfs produced that disfigure, maim or otherwise
render
an animal
nonfunctional (i.e., cataracts, retinal dysplasia and  detachment,
chondrodystrophy).">>

I hope that impression was not left.  I certainly was not arguing that such
animals "could" exist, only that they seem to be rare and that such
disfigurment is not the most solid basis for mounting an argument for the
"elimination" of dwarfs in the breed.

Linda

Joe