RE: Re(2): [pyrnet] company

With all due respect, when you go to someone's house where they may have a
spouse or a child you don't like, I don't think that you fear that they are
going to bite you.  I've asked my mother in law to either leave her dogs
outside, or to leash them when my Dad is there.  She will not do it, and I
don't think that's right.  She feels my Father's fears are unfounded.
Personally, I've witnessed her dogs' behavior, and I don't know if they'd
bite or not.  It just so happens I'm not afraid, and I've only seen them
once or twice.  My Father has a real fear of her dogs, and she is not doing
anything to alleviate it.  I'm not saying that we should lock our dogs up,
or anything else, but at least leash them, or leave them outside.  I want
people to feel comfortable in my home, and I don't think my dogs will die if
left outside for a little while.

Another example was a few years ago, when our son was in pre-school, the
district had a policy of having the pre-school teacher and a person from the
office staff come by to visit each pre-school child's home.  (We are a very
small district.)  The teacher let everyone know up front that she was afraid
of dogs, so would we please keep our dogs outside.  We did, and we had a
great visit.  She thanked me several times for respecting her fears.  She
told me that several families just let the dogs loose, and she refused to go
in.  I now have a great relationship with this teacher, and she is slowly
overcoming some of her fears.  The few times I've taken one of our pyrs to
the school, she'll even come up and pet them!

Carol Lugg
Calhan, CO